Sunday, January 12, 2014

Surprise Getaway

So for the rest of our lives we will have three big holidays right in a row. Christmas on the 25th, Jake's Birthday on the 26th and our Anniversary on the 27th. At the time of getting married I didn't care, but now it is kind of annoying and I can not have a kid in December. To add to it this year, Jake graduated in December as well. I knew I had to plan something good so I started looking at vacations. I talked to a travel agent about a few tropical vacations and pricing and she tells me in her black southern drawl, "honey ya do know yall lookin to travel at the most expensive time of  year!" I knew traveling after Christmas and over New Years would be when all the families wanted to take their kids that were out of school on a vacation, but I didn't think it would be that much. I decided on a cruise to the Caribbean and even though I had been on multiple cruises and this same route, I knew that Jake had never been on a cruise and would like it. It was a brand new ship and ended up being more than double the price of it normally, but it was still fun. 

Anyways I booked it and planned it all out and talked to his accounting internship who said he started on Monday January 6, 2014.  He had no idea and I was planning on surprising him with it on his Birthday, but on Christmas day my sister asked him when he started his internship and he said "well I fly out to Denver for training in the afternoon on Sunday the 5th".  I immediately started to panic inside. I asked him when he found that out and he said "a couple of days ago why is that a big deal", he could tell by the look on my face that something was up.  My eyes started to well up because he was supposed to leave for Denver Sunday at three and we didn't fly in til Sunday at 8:30 pm.  I also knew that I didn't pay extra for the trip insurance so I couldn't change the cruise. I explained to him through tears that I tried planning this surprise vacation for him and it back fired. He said that we would figure it out and it would be o.k. We called the next day and just our luck the office was closed until the day after New Years so we couldn't talk to anyone. I tried to see if we could change our flight and stupid United was going to charge us more than our original ticket was. Well we found a flight for early Monday morning for him to fly to Denver and then he called a friend that worked for PWC as well, but in the wrong department to change his flight. She assured us that it was okay because I had contacted her months earlier and she told me he didn't start til Monday and didn't tell me anything about going to Denver. She said she would call the office when they opened and figure it out and for us to check our email on the trip.  So we packed up and left early the next morning after a lot of stress. 

The one thing bad about going on a trip by ourselves is that I hardly have any pictures. We either had to take awkward selfies or ask someone to take a picture for us. Jake hates taking pictures so every time I would mention it he would say we will get one later. Then later came and went and now I am sitting here mad about how little we have documented and the bad quality of the pictures we do have. Oh well.
We decided to splurge and get an overly priced couples massage in the spa and it was pretty relaxing.





Jake LOVES dolphins, so that was fun for him.

New Years Eve dinner.


New Years deck party with all the other drunkards and old people making out, only had alcohol spilled on me once.

Sting ray city was one of our favorite things.




He was a little fish, he would swim the whole time.






Well on the way home our flight was four hours delayed and we missed our connection in Houston and United was no help at all. Luckily, Jake found a later flight, so we got in at 1 am and then I drove him back to the airport at 5 am. It was a very fun vacation for just the two of us and now instead of budgeting money for furniture and other essential items I am already planning to go visit my brother in Chicago and our next getaway with my family, hopefully to Costa Rica. I think I would rather travel and live in my parents basement forever. Just kidding, kind of.

1 comment:

  1. How fun, Chase and I are hopefully going on a Caribbean cruise this year too!
    I sometimes want to continue to just travel the world and live in the basement as well.

    ReplyDelete